Christmas Tree Tips
- Only buy electrical decorations that have a UL rating on the label, which indicates that they have been tested for safe use.
- Follow all installation and usage instructions for lighting decorations to ensure that you are not increasing your chance of starting a fire.
- Inspect new and used lights before using them and discard any that have cracks, exposed wires or loose connections. Replace any bulbs that are missing.
- Do not connect more than three sets of lights to an extension cord at one time.
- Plug outside lighting only into a ground fault circuit interrupting (GFCI) outlet, as this will safeguard the outlet from any interaction with water.
- Do not secure outside lights with staples or nails, and avoid placing indoor extension cords under carpeting, rugs and furniture.
- Unplug lighting decorations before going to bed and leaving the house.
Also Keep In Mind
To ensure safety, do not do any decorating outdoors during adverse weather conditions such as snow, ice, and sleet. These conditions make it decorating extremely dangerous from something serious such as being on the roof to something as simple as using a ladder. Always be overcautious when adverse conditions pose a possible threat.
Feel free to call us at (703) 683-6601 to further discuss holiday safety tips or click the button below to learn more about all of our claims reduction strategies and other insurance solutions.