|With the upcoming holiday weekend, we thought this would be a great opportunity to emphasize the importance of securing your home before leaving for a trip. Burglar activity tends to spike around holidays. Fortunately there are a number of simple steps you can take to protect yourself.|
- Lock doors and windows. It may seem so obvious it isn't worth mentioning, but according to a nationwide survey, 25% of homeowners acknowledged leaving the house regularly without locking doors or windows.
- If you have a home security system, be sure to activate it.
- Avoid the "So excited to go on vacation in Florida for the next three days!" social media post. Don't make yourself an easy target. Share your pictures and stories after your trip.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to keep an eye on the house for you. Try bribing him or her with fresh baked cookies, and be sure to return the favor in the future.
- Purchase a light switch timer that turn your lights on and off automatically according to a programmed schedule. Motion sensing lights can also help deter criminals.
- Stop your mail, especially the news paper, if you are going on an extended trip. Piled up mail and news papers send a clear message to potential burglars.
Clarke & Sampson has been serving the Alexandria, VA area for over 65 years. Serving our clients with the best products and guidance is just a part of what we do. Have fun and safe travels!