|If you’re planning a vacation for this spring or summer, especially an extended one, there are many preparations you need to make before you leave. You need to determine your transportation, lodging, budget and itinerary for your trip. In the hustle and bustle of getting ready, do not forget to prepare your home to remain safe and incident-free while you’re away.|
Avoiding problems within the house:
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly.
- Unplug electronic devices and small appliances.
- Turn the temperature down on your thermostat to conserve energy.
- If you have a home security system, be sure to activate it.
- Lock all doors and windows. This may seem like common sense, but according to a nationwide survey, 25% of homeowners admitted to leaving the house regularly without locking doors or windows.
Making your house look lived in will help deter potential burglars:
- Put your mail and newspaper on hold until you return in order to prevent it from overflowing your mailbox, or ask a trusted friend or neighbor to regularly collect your mail while you’re gone.
- Purchase a light switch timer that turn your lights on and off automatically following a programmed schedule. Motion sensing lights also discourage criminals.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to keep an eye on the house for you. You may want to try bribing him or her with baked goods, and be sure to return the favor in the future.
By taking simple preventive steps to protect your home while you’re away you greatly lessen the chance of a burglar breaking in. At Clarke & Sampson, we want to help protect you and your property no matter where are. If you have any other questions about how to protect your home call (703) 683-6601 or click the button below.